Monday, Oct 3, 2022, 6:00 pm ET / 3:00 pm PT
The ministry of chaplaincy is characterized by the various ways that one can provide spiritual care and support within diverse contexts. Chaplains may serve as representatives of their faith group or as providers of care within multi-faith contexts. They bring expertise in ethics, faith development theory, spiritual/pastoral care, and inter- and multi-religious practices and dialogue.
In this first seminar, the learner will be introduced to the theory, some practices, and various contexts of chaplaincy as a historic and emerging form of religious leadership in the United States and abroad.
- Assignment #1: Write and submit a reflection paper in response to the following 5 questions. You may submit via email or via the upload portal provided below.
- What do you hope to learn and or discern in this course?
- What seems most interesting or exciting about the ministry of a chaplain?
- What potentially could appear to be most challenging?
- What do you think distinguishes the ministry of a chaplain from a congregational pastor?
- What is your current role in ministry, and do you enjoy it? For example: Are you a pastor, lay leader, Sunday school teacher, etc..
- Assignment #2: Write and submit a 2-page paper on the area of Chaplaincy that you are most interested. Submit to the instructor via email or via the upload portal below.
- Assignment #3: Begin a journal focusing on soul care. This is a personal journal, recording your own reflections throughout the course.